Updated: May 30
For makeup lovers who have oily skin, sometimes it can be frustrating to find products that will last all day, or simply the right combinations. Here are a few tips and tricks that can help prolong the wear of your makeup.
1. Consider not using a primer. Simply just using an SPF based moisturizer, my preferred is The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing + HA. It is water based, so it is extremely light weight. Sometimes layering too many products (especially with oily skin) can cause products to eventually slip. If a primer is a must in your routine, consider using a setting spray as a replacement. They moisturize and help grip the makeup and are lightweight. Urban Decay All Nighter is always a must have for me.
2. When it comes to foundations, it’s best to use matte finishes. They typically have less oil-based ingredients in them and set with a powdery finish which helps to absorb excess oil. Makeup Forever’s Matte Velvet Skin is definitely a great go to.
Even though dewy finishes are in; If you are looking for that dewy look, consider using a highlighter or even dewy setting spray can help!
3. Setting powder is key! The best way to keep that makeup in place is using a setting powder. My personal favourite for this Kat Von D’s Lock It Setting Powder, it’s lightweight and feels great on the skin and doesn’t make you look cakey whatsoever. You don’t have to “bake” the powder on like past trends suggest. But, a fine translucent powder and a proper sponge (beauty blenders) or the wonder powder puff definitely helps press and seal the powder in place; which helps keep the skin dryer for longer.
4. Last but not least, a setting spray. No matter the skin type, a setting spray will always help keep the makeup stay put much longer than without. Look for one that is long wear or meant for oily skin, because it will help immensely, as mentioned before Urban Decay’s All Nighter is the BEST.
5. A secret tip I like to use as well, is blotting papers. There are ones out there that not only absorb oil but also have fine powder on the to help “set” what has just been blotted off. Rare Beauty has a great line for these, 100% suggest.